Sunday, January 11, 2015

Storing CDs

I'm revisiting the idea of storing CDs and the best way to do it. Right now, thanks to no foresight into the planning of my CD reconversion, I have CD cases that are empty, CD cases that are not empty, 30+ spindles of 100 CDs each, 3 3-ring binders that came with the CDs I bought from at NCYC in Indy back in November 2013, and other miscellaneous piles of music. I need a consolidated way to organize my music because if I wanted to find Metallica's "Death Magnetic" or Lamb of God's "Sacrament" or Van Halen's "OU812", I would have no idea where to look. I thought about using a user-defined field in Windows Media Player, but the problem with that is I don't really want to be tied to a proprietary software. I don't consider myself a likely candidate for using Ubuntu or a Mac on a daily basis so, unless something extremely odd happens, I will continue to use Windows. That said, my fear is that if I do add a user-defined field to WMP, I would lose that information if I needed, for some reason, to switch to a different tool.

I googled "storage for massive cd collection" and read this, but I was underwhelmed. I was equally underwhelmed with this article.

Products don't seem to be jumping out at me either. There's this binder system where you get 6 binders, each holding 48 CDs, for $58.99. That's 288 CDs. I have 4000 CDs. I would need 13.88 (let's say 14) to give me 14 x 6 = 84 of these books.Yeah, that's not going to work. I am glad I didn't have pop in my mouth when I read about this system. Each drawer holds 15 CDs; 20 of these drawers would hold, yep, 600 CDs and would cost $529.80... except I would need 7 orders of 20 of these 2 drawers 7 x [20 x2] = 280 drawers, which would cost $3708.60 to store my 4000 CDs in groups of 15 in 280 drawers.

Just for the record, even if I had $3708.60 laying around, burning a hole in my pocket, I wouldn't spend it on 280 drawers!

I bit the bullet and posted an inquiry to Facebook. My friend Phil replied that he used this product: http://shop.spacesavingsleeves.com/main.sc, which look promising. You can buy 1000 sleeves for $160 (roughly) so I'd need to invest $640 to put all my CDs in this system.


No comments: