Friday, January 23, 2015

Following Billy

As an appendix to my post on Tuesday about Billy Crystal, here's another article about the aftermath of his statements. I admit that I was suckered into reading the article because of the lead:
|
I was always hesitant to watch the show “Modern Family.” I was worried about how much of it was activist television and how much was actual comedy. .... However, when I watched the show, I discovered something. It was, actually, a funny show. ... overall, there’s at least a couple laughs in every episode.
|
I agree with the above. I think sometimes the show is spot-on. There was a recent episode where Cam is teaching Lilly to be a clown and she keeps hitting him and scaring him. Eventually, she confesses to the other dad that she doesn't like being a clown, but she didn't want to say that to him because she didn't want to hurt his feelings. When the show addresses issues like disappointing a parent, it was irrelevant that she's the adopted daughter of two gay men. It could have been a husband / wife and the wife liked being a dancer and the daughter doesn't. Closer to him, it could have been a husband / wife and the husband liked being a drummer and the son doesn't or the wife liked being a teacher and the son tries it and, ultimately, decides he doesn't want to spend his career babysitting kids, arguing about whether he should assign homework, and breaking up fights.

Yeah. Any of those.

My point is that relationships are messy and sometimes they hurt. Sometimes we hurt the ones we love.

Rephrased, sometimes I hurt the ones I love.

No comments: