Saturday, January 17, 2015

The Avengers 2 Trailer Breakdown & Justice League Villans

Megan and I watched "The Avengers" last night. She had never seen it before. She laughed at the quips from Tony Stark and when Hulk blasts Thor with his fist so I know she was "engaged" with watching it. That said, it made me excited to watch the sequel when it is released on May 1, 2015. Along with "Star Wars VII", it is a movie I definitely want to see in the theater though time will tell if I pay the ~$10 to see it at a 'first-run' theater or if I wait until it goes to the Collins Road Theater and I pay $5 for gas to get there and a $5 movie ticket. The advantage of seeing it at the Collins Road Theater is that I can then go to the HUGE secondhand books, videos, & music store that is in the same strip mall and, essentially, spend too much money.

One of the things I like about the age in which I live is that the Internet is full of "experts" about movies that haven't been released. I think it's really easy for me to get swept up in the wave of information about upcoming movies. I get giddy when I see videos, like the one below. I enjoy watching the mastery of knowledge being explained. For example, when the video starts talking about a character named "Hel", I learned something. I didn't know there was a character called Hel and I kind of thought I knew a lot about the world of comics. When Loki's daughter is mentioned, I learned he had a daughter - again, I didn't know he had one. It's that type of mastery of content that makes me feel envious that all of that information could either be stored in the narrator's head or that he could research what he sees and then figure out, all from watching the original trailer, character traits.

The one thing I will also point out, before watching the trailer below, is I like how the narrator doesn't consider himself an expert, even questioning what he is saying. That humbleness seems to be missing in a lot of essays that are guesses about movies that haven't been released. Some "articles" about these movies have a writing tone that is so matter-of-fact authoritative that the more I read about how much the author knows, the less credibility the author has. It's like making a big deal about knowing one smidgen of information and then extrapolating that small byte of information into an entire website, which is unlikely to be a possibility.

But before getting to the video I embedded below, there's another movie that I wanted to write about. It is called "Justice League" and, frankly, it's easier for me to be more excited about that movie than the Avengers. I cannot count or even speculate how many hours I spent reading the Justice League comic book. A few years back, when the Cartoon Network showed a series called "Justice League" and then followed it up with "Justice League Unlimited", it felt as if my love for that team was renewed. The only Justice League comic book I have is issue #200, which I remember buying in a comic book store in Colorado. It's the issue where the original 7 heroes are brainwashed and the newer heroes have to battle the originals. It's a great issue and has all sorts of tributes to the series. That's why I'm excited about a JL movie. And, from reading article after article on the Internet about the movie, I'm not alone. The Internet is slowly being filled with articles that speculate about who the villain will be... for a movie that is years from being released. The movie, currently simply called "Justice League" isn't being released until November 17th, 2017. That's a long ways away! Its sequel, currently simply called "Justice League 2" isn't being released until June 14th, 2019! Good heavens! I'll be nearly 50 years old when that movie comes out! This article goes through a list of 8 potential villains and builds a reasonable case for each villain to the extent that it makes me excited to see the movie.



No comments: