Wednesday, July 8, 2015

English Majors and Math

I earned a Bachelor's degree in English in 1992 from Mount Mercy College - it's now called Mount Mercy University - and if it weren't for Nancy Rhodes, who was my Basic Math professor, I would have less than zero confidence in my mathematical abilities. She refused to believe that I was incapable of mastering the content in her class. It took until my sophomore year of college to get through a math class without failing a single test as I am pretty sure I failed at least one test - sometimes several - in each of the previous math classes I had to take in high school.

That said, even though I maintain our bills / finances - thank you Excel for having the ability to prevent me from counting on my fingers and toes - the opening in this article about English majors and math made me chuckle.

No comments: