Monday, July 20, 2015

Meh

After reading the first few pages of "Aftermath" on the Entertainment Weekly website, I'm unimpressed with the writing style. I didn't begin reading the published words from the novel that provides the missing pieces in the Star Wars Universe between "Return of the Jedi" and "The Force Awakens" to be grand literature. I purposely set aside my tendency to be snobby when I read writing. As a former English major, sometimes it's difficult to do and sometimes I fail, but I don't think it was even a factor as I read the words. The writing style is so choppy, so void of details about what the speaker sees, hears, and touches. In science fiction writing, especially the Star Wars Universe, details are the essence of what causes debates among fans of the film series and the novels that have been published over the years concerning the characters that are also in the films as well as characters that are only in the novels. My purpose is to not go into depth about what I read because there's no specific paragraph or collection of paragraphs that gave me this impression. Go read it yourself.

No comments: