Friday, July 3, 2015

Where I Am Part 02

To continue with the previous post, our country would be better off if we weren't so selfish. In a word, that's how I describe the people in our country. While that sounds awful, especially on the eve of the 4th of July, in my head, that's where I am. What other word describes the political maneuvering that surrounds the Benghazi hearings.

I'm not a Hillary Clinton fan. I hope she is not elected as our next president. I don't necessarily believe that she would be a bad president, but I do believe she would be a continuation of President Obama. Maybe. I don't know what she intends to do.
Videos like this are on Conservative websites:




The fears of Republicans come to light when they continue to try and make the attack on the Benghazi embassy a controversy. The latest tactic is to review emails that Clinton turned over to the Benghazi committee and Democrats are unhappy, pointing out in this article there isn't a "smoking gun" about blaming a video for the attack in her emails. Instead, it makes Republicans look like loons because there's an email about Clinton requesting some iced tea.

Someone smarter than me has got to find a way to make our country stay united. The problem is that the issues we face as a country are divisive. Race, politics, gay marriage. Yes, about that last one. I find myself divided about gay marriage. This article describes the gay rights rally that was held in Iowa City on June 26. Could that gay editor I mentioned in part 01 be right? Do I really not understand why that rally was so important to the gay community in the Iowa City area because I am white, male, and heterosexual? That may be part of why I wouldn't go.

The other part is that for all this talk about wanting to be treated equally, groups that are marginalized, and I'm speaking in dangerously general terms now, expect to be treated unequally. There were an abundance of scholarships for minorities, but not nearly as many for my daughter Megan. There is a movement called "Black Lives Matter" that responded to the Supreme Court decision by tweeting that the decision shouldn't take away from the "real" issue in our country - that "Black Lives Matter" more than any other skin color. To me, if you want to unite our country, you don't call it "Black Lives Matter" - you call it "All Lives Matter."

Because that's my truth. All lives matter. All human beings poop, pee, and breathe. Whether you are rich or poor or somewhere in the middle, those are the things in life that are common.

No comments: