Sunday, December 20, 2015

Acceptance Gives Me

I get a daily email called "Thought for the Day" and today's thought is this:

Acceptance gives me the experience of being like an angel: never judging, never criticizing and never worrying.

It's so ironic that I just read those words because I don't do well with accepting things in life. I really don't. I don't accept many decisions I have made, both personally and professionally. In the personal realm, being sober for nearly 5 years - 12/31/2015 is my five year anniversary - is just one example of where I have refused to accept my past behavior and incidents I was involved in as being the way I want to live my life. Because I can choose to drink booze or to not drink booze, the decision to live a sober life is mine alone.

Professionally, though, is a different story. I've made choices in my 20+ years as a technical writer that I wholeheartedly refuse to accept. It would seem that leaving Quintrex, now NISC, can easily creep up to the top of that list. I write that because, in the background of all that is going on in my life, I've learned that Quintrex, now NISC, is looking for a technical writer. I pasted the job description below. This is the company & position I had for a dozen years. Since I left there on 10/15/2010, Quintrex had hired two women - Laura & Kathy - to do my former technical writer duties. Tragically, both of those women have passed away.

I knew this position was going to be posted and I know that even though it states the location is Missouri, I would be considered for this position upon submission of my credentials. In my private journal, I've pondered the idea of submitting my resume for the position below. There was a time in my life, including almost immediately after I left, when knowing I could apply for my former position was all I prayed for. I filled page after page in my private journal with desperate words of my desire to return.

However, the way my career played out, I ultimately did not even have the opportunity to return because, as I mentioned, my replacement(s) had been hired and there was not money for a third technical writer position, if I recall correctly. I went on to be hired at my current employer and tomorrow will actually be 4 years, 6 months, and 3 weeks.

It will also be 5 years, 2 months, 6 days since I worked at Quintrex. I know for a fact that a lot has changed there since I left. I still have friends that work there and I still keep in touch with them. I've heard from them that NISC, the new owner, is a good company, which makes me happy for my former co-workers.

Anyways, this is the current opening and the ball is in my court as far as applying for it or not. I'm honestly 50 / 50, at this point. I like where I am and I like my co-workers immensely. I like the fact that I am able to spend a lot of my time focused on the tools side of technical writing, such as identifying where there are differences in


Position

Technical Writer

Location

Missouri

Primary Responsibilities

This position reports to the QA/Technical Communications Team Lead. Has a high level of internal customer interaction, including all NISC divisions needing written technical communications. Works closely with the Quality Assurance team, as well as with Member Support Subject Matter Experts (SMEs) and RDQ developers. This position is responsible for the writing and editing of operation and maintenance documentation for NISC’s software applications, technical systems, and technical publications, as well as other Member-oriented publications.

Disclaimer

Management may modify this job description by assigning or reassigning duties and responsibilities at any time.

Essential Functions

·         Writes new and modifies existing technical documentation and technical publications according to set standards regarding order, clarity, conciseness, style and terminology.
·         Gathers and organizes source materials such as design and test specifications, design diagrams and schematics.
·         Investigates and studies material used through examination of systems, diagrams and interviews.
·         Establishes organization-wide user documentation standards for online and printed documentation.
·         Works with low level of supervision on technical projects or assignments.
·         Works closely with Quality Assurance and SME (Subject Matter Experts) in planning projects and meeting deadlines.
·         Prepares CRs (Change Requests) for developers to complete to adhere to Technical Communications Standards.
·         Completes CRs as assigned by developers, QA or Member Support.
·         Utilizes all technical development tools as directed, including the repository, StarTeam, Subversion, iSupport, Caliber, as well as various other tools when deemed necessary.
·         Writes other Member-oriented publications, such as brochures, release notes, web pages, newsletters, training documents, job aids, etc.
·         Answers basic questions regarding application screens and processes responsible for documenting.
·         Develops web-based training modules following established standards and processes.
·         Follows standard practices to resolve moderate to complex problems.
·         May be required to travel.
·         May be required to attend training seminars online, internally or at various external locations.
·         May be required to participate on design review boards and change review boards regarding enhancements to technical documentation.
·         Prepares weekly status reports for Team Lead as well as attends weekly technical communications status meetings.

Minimum Physical Requirements

The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Employees must be able to see, speak, and hear, to operate computer keyboards or office equipment, and are required to stand, walk, and sit.

Desired Education

Bachelor’s degree in a related field such as English, Journalism, Communications or Computer Science or equivalent experience.

Desired Job Experience

·         Generally requires 3 to 5 years of technical writing experience either at NISC or at another company in a technical writing profession.
·         Excellent writing and proofreading skills with strengths in grammar, punctuation and spelling.
·         Working knowledge of NISC’s applications.
·         Working knowledge of other integrated applications and services.
·         Strong verbal and written interpersonal and communication skills.
·         Strong research and problem solving skills with a good attention to detail.
·         Ability to organize and prioritize a large volume of work.
·         Strong PC skills including a working knowledge of Microsoft Word.
·         Working knowledge of Macromedia software including RoboHelp and RoboDemo.
·         Working knowledge of writing using HTML code.
·         Working knowledge of capturing and inserting graphics into documentation.
·         Ability to interact in a positive manner with internal and external customers.
·         Ability to work in a team environment.
·         Knowledge of the Rural Electric industry.
·         Ability to travel as necessary.
·         Commitment to NISC’s Statement of Shared Values.

Certifications Required

None

Other Qualifications

None

No comments: