Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Introducing Chaos

How do you introduce the chaos that is the heavy metal band GWAR to a 17 year-old?

Let me back up.

Last night, in a rare display of showing interest in me, Alex entered the den. He had his cell phone or iPod and was talking to me about his favorite new band, Bring Me the Horizon. He played a song for me and was expecting me to like it. Parts of it were okay, but most of it was, eh, I could live without hearing again (which is why I'm not embedding it below).

Then it was my turn to have him listen to some thing. I told him about my latest discovery, the AV Club. I embedded the cover of "Say Say Say" just yesterday but I knew if I started out with having him listen to that, it wouldn't make sense to him. Instead, I introduced the concept of a band covering another band by jumping ahead to this spot in the original Michael Jackson & Paul McCartney version here, before having him listen to a sample of the Wild Throne cover here.

That led into sampling the Barenaked Ladies version of Phil Collins' "In the Air Tonight" here, Bela Fleck & Abigail Washburn covering Europe's "The Final Countdown" here before I introduced him to utter chaos - the band called GWAR - and their cover of Kansas' "Carry on Wayward Son" as shown below.



BINGO!! I struck gold! The rest of the time we spent together in the den involved watching the video below:



which was then followed by watching bits and pieces - not the entire 90 minutes - of this video:



Alex immediately began sending Snapchat messages to his buddy Austin to freak him out. It was almost like he had discovered an entire new world - perhaps similar to the first time an usher in our wedding led me into his father's den and showed me his father's Playboy collection. Alex was having the same type of reaction, immediately wanting to see and learn more.

We also had to go out to the GWAR website to view if there were any upcoming tour dates. There are none, except New Year's Eve and, emphatically, Alex is not going. Perhaps against my better judgment, I did mention to Alex that I had some GWAR DVDs and that I had never watched them.

I am hopeful that I have not unleashed a monster.

No comments: