Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Illegal Means Breaking the Law

There's a comment in the comments section of the article I link to below that I wanted to lead with in this post so here it is:
|
People like this do not deserve anything and THEY HAVE NO RIGHTS, they are here ILLEGALLY. It is insane that a court of law does not uphold that.
|
What is the context of that statement?

The article, that you haven't read yet, is about how some illegal immigrants are suing Oregon because Oregon will not issue them a driver's license.

Read that again s l o w l y.

While you ponder that statement, let me set the table as far as where I sit on the immigration issue that the United States is confronting. First of all, I don't consider myself anti-immigration. My dad's dad came from Norway. I get that people in other countries want to come to the United States and that they see a better opportunity here than where they are. In other words, I don't care who you are or where you came from - really, I don't - if you want to come to the United States. Where I do care and where I hope all United States citizens care is that if you come into the United States without going through the proper paperwork / process / procedure* - no matter how complicated / un-user friendly it is - you are in this country ILLEGALLY which means you are breaking the law. That is what the comment above is saying in slightly different words.

Logically, then, if you are an illegal immigrant - breaking the law by your mere presence - how is it possible to sue Oregon because the state of Oregon won't issue a driver's license to you. Because you are, remember, here and BREAKING THE LAW in the first place. Yet, that is the situation that is described in this article.

* Do I know anything about what it takes to be a United States citizen? No, I do not. I was born in America so I have never needed to look into what it takes.

No comments: