Monday, December 21, 2015

Complete Is The Circle

This is a touching article about how valuable the Star Wars franchise has been to the author. There are no spoilers about Episode VII, which I saw last night with Karen, Alex, Megan, and Cody, in the article as it is a reprint of an article that was published in 2005. Here's the link.

That said, I am not going to write a review of the movie on this blog because I am a coward - I don't want responsibility for spoiling anyone's experience of seeing the movie if they don't want to know what happens. I will be generic and use long flowing statements to capture my opinion of the movie.

Five reactions:
  1. I never wanted to blink during the movie. Similar to Leonard, Howard, and Raj in the episode of "The Big Bang Theory" that aired on 12/17/2015, I didn't get any pop or food because, frankly, I didn't want to have to go to the bathroom during the movie. It's that simple. 
  2. Prior to the release, there was a lot of apprehension voiced on various websites about JJ Abrams and Disney likely releasing a move that would ruin the franchise. I admit to the same fears, but I can generically say, this movie didn't ruin the franchise. 
  3. This movie is much like a love poem, in some aspects, to those Star Wars fans who grew up watching the movies. In 1977, I was in first grade. David Davis lived across the street from me on Red Bud Road in Cedar Rapids and he worked at the Plaza Theater by Lindale Mall. He had a dresser full of comic books and he was my idol. 
  4. Karen was a trooper to go with us. She and I watched all of Episode IV and part of VI on Saturday to brush up on her knowledge. As we watched those films, I would pause the movie and tell her things that were important and catch phrases that were said by multiple characters in the original trilogy, like "I've got a bad feeling about this." I gave her a brief synopsis of "The Empire Strikes Back" because we did so much Christmas shopping on Saturday, we simply ran out of time. I also was very conscious of not ruining the franchise for her by cramming a lot of information into her brain. I want her to like the franchise and avoid negative feelings about it.
  5. I will go see it again. I don't necessarily think I need to see it in 3D, though I can see where that would be very cool.
I fear if I write more I will write too much.

No comments: