Friday, April 8, 2016

A Special Report Part One

Editor's Note: This special report initially began as an entry in the table on the page I use on this blog to track the Reconversion project. However, due to the desire to write an extended essay, I moved the text to a blog post. The Reconversion page is located here.

What a difference a week makes. I should have updated the Reconversion (Music_Shell folder stats) page a week ago. I had a count of 200,000-ish music files on the new 4 TB drive. This past Tuesday, disaster struck. I stood up from my desk in the den, didn't realize the cord was around my leg and the son of a bitch dropped from the desk to the floor. I didn't think anything of it - Windows Explorer still showed the drive so I thought there had been no damage.

I was wrong.

The next time I tried to use it was a shock. Windows would recognize the hard drive through Disk Management, but not in Windows Explorer.

I rebooted.

Same result.

On Wednesday night, I opened up the black case. There were two screws that prevented me from putting it into the dock. I wasn't confident I could remove the screws so I took it over to Matthew's apartment. Matthew is my friend who, among other things, figured out the issue with my record to MP3 device (there was a belt that wasn't "on" the roller) and is my go-to person for techie things. Matthew assured me removing the screws was okay and had the tool to do it.

Upon returning home, I slid the drive into the dock.

Nothing.

Thankfully, I mentioned this issue to a co-worker, Chad. He has data recovery tools at work and when I told him about what had happened, he said to bring it in. I came home yesterday during my lunch break and grabbed the 4 TB EHD as well as two other EHDs that cannot be read by my dock. If Chad is able to recover the 4 TB drive, maybe he can recover the other two EHDs as well! It is now Friday, April 8, 2016, and the fate of the 4 TB drive is unknown - I don't believe Chad had hooked the drive up to begin the process of trying to recover the drive. He was going to bring in a couple of EHDs from his home so that if there are files that can be recovered, there is a place to copy them to.

No comments: