Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Stomach Issues

As I deal with the 4 TB EHD failure and determine what to do, I know I can re-convert my 4000ish CDs to MP3 - that's just hours of sitting. What I know I cannot do, though, is re-convert all the music I recorded with my cell phone. That includes all the Uncle Rico rehearsals, the masses at Saint Thomas More, the Lou's Classic Ride rehearsals, and concerts I recorded. On top of that, there are the videos and pictures from, among other events, Megan's 2013 trip to Europe. I know she printed a lot of the pictures off to put in a photo book, but it's the principle of losing those memories as well as the files Alex & Karen had accumulated of family gatherings (Karen) and concerts (Alex).

If it is determined that those data files are worth the money to retrieve them, my path becomes hiring a "data recovery" service to take the actual hard drive apart in order to attempt expensive data recovery. Even that, unfortunately, is not an avenue of guaranteed success, especially if you ask "BrazilianBill" on the Best Buy website who specifically mentioned that dropping the drive is sometimes catastrophic:

No comments: