Monday, April 11, 2016

Explanation

Regarding this cryptic post, the RoboCopy commands to create a backup on my 1 TB EHD (F) completed and the stats for the jobs are on that post. After those commands finished, I began another set of XCOPY commands to further separate the files I had been able to find on my working EHDs:
copy all JPG files that start with 0-9 from f: to a directory on the MyCloud I: drive
copy all JPG files that start with A-Z from f: to a directory on the MyCloud I: drive
to end up with
I:\0\0* files
I:\1\1* files
I:\a\a* files 
... you get the idea. Because I used the XCOPY command with the /s parameter, I then have to use Search My Files to find all the files and cut them from the sub-folder to the root directory. Of course, this creates a lot of duplicate files that have to be separated into at least 5 categories:
  1. My pictures
  2. Karen's pictures
  3. Megan's pictures
  4. Alex's pictures
  5. Not one of the above
I expect this process to take a bit of time - as in hours - to complete. Even if I could finish a letter or number in one hour, that would be 35 hours and would take about a month, which is a very generous ballpark estimate. It is, of course, mid-April and our "busy" season. Talk has already turned to our soon to be chaotic schedule. On a very non-in-depth level, here's what the next month looks like:
  • West High production of "Mary Poppins" on 4/16
  • Mark, Susie, and the boys coming to our house on 4/22
  • Alex going to Beartooth at Gabe's Oasis on 4/23
  • Pulling the camper from storage in Zhwingle to Elkader for camping season on 4/30
  • Megan moving home from UNI, Jesse Manibussen concert at church, Karen's XX birthday, Mother's Day on May 6
  • Bring Me the Horizon concert on May 12 in Des Moines
  • Alex's Europe trip auditions in Des Moines, Matthew's wedding, and Alex's prom on May 14

Finding the time to sort hundreds of files? Going to be interesting...

No comments: