Friday, April 22, 2016

Prince Chyna

Editor's Note: When I began this post, I discovered I have never created a label for neither "Prince" nor "Chyna." Because I probably won't write words about either of them after this post, I am using the "Death Sucks" label.

Yesterday there were two celebrity deaths: Prince & Chyna.

When I think about Prince, I think about Richard Bounds. He was my co-worker at NDP in Cedar Rapids from 2/10/95 - 2/10/98. I don't think about Richard much because I have, literally, not seen him since 2/10/98. I do remember he was always nice to me and that he was one helluva darts player at O'Maggie's, a bar that was across the street from the NDP building in downtown Cedar Rapids. Richard adored Prince's music. I think that between 2/10/95 and 2/10/98, Prince played a concert at the US Cellular Center when it was called the Five Seasons Center. Richard went to the concert and thought it was brilliant.  I didn't go and could only mumble that I liked "Let's Go Crazy" and "1999" when he mentioned Prince. Editor's Note: Read a review of that concert here. Overall, you can read about his life on Wikipedia.

As for Chyna, she was a professional wrestler in the WWE. She was a member of Triple H's stable, De-Generation X. The main things I remember about Chyna are that she had an intimidating physical presence and that, after she left the WWE, she was on a VH1 show called "Celebrity Rehab" in 2008. I remember seeing her deny that she had a drinking problem. In 2008, I would have denied I had a drinking problem. I remember thinking that Chyna was brave for confronting her demons, though stating there is a direct link between her doing so and me deciding to live a sober life is more coincidence than anything else. Still, I respected her choice. Overall, you can read about her life on Wikipedia.

No comments: