Monday, April 18, 2016

It's Called a Love Affair with Big Minds

Last week, I mentioned that Kobe Bryant played his final NBA game, as described here. What didn't make my radar was that Flea, the bassist for the Red Hot Chilli Peppers, played the "Star Spangled Banner" during the pre-game. Apparently, there was a lot of backlash concerning his performance. What I found interesting was that if you search youtube.com for other videos of Flea playing the tune, he has played it previously, in the same arena. I watched him play the tune on the trumpet.

My point is that this was not the very first time he's ever played the tune on his bass in that venue. Perhaps what was different from the prior times and this last time is that people tuned in to watch Bryant's final game who didn't know who Flea is, what his history is with the Lakers, and that, like it or not and believe it or not, the way he played the tune was not all that different from when he played it in 2013.

All of that paragraph is meant to set up Flea's reaction. When asked what he thought of it - and I love this quote - this is what he said:

I really don’t have any concern for little small minds that get frustrated when they get blown . . . I like big minds.

Read the article here.

No comments: