Monday, October 3, 2016

Loyalty & Self-Esteem

Saw this question and response:

Reader 2: Is it all right to leave a temporary position early if one gets a permanent position elsewhere? I would be burning bridges, since I verbally agreed to stop looking for other jobs until the end of this assignment. There’s a small chance this temp position could turn permanent, but I feel turning down a proper permanent position would be foolish.

Karla: Define “all right.” Is it legal? Without a contract stating otherwise, employment is at-will, so odds are slim that your employer could succeed in a lawsuit over an oral agreement to stick around. Is it ethical? Don’t expect a good referral, but do request as much transition time as your new employer can spare. Now strap on that butt-pillow, and happy landings.

Here's my response.
  1. Yes, I agree that "turning down a proper permanent position would be foolish" because it is not in the best interest of Reader 2's situation. 
  2. Reader 2 should never have "verbally agreed to stop looking for other jobs until the end of this assignment." That is not a good strategy. Reader 2 must have their objective at the forefront of their mind, which I'm guessing is to secure a permanent position. No verbal agreement should have been extended that would work against that objective.
  3. Karla's advice about "don't expect a good referral" is opposite of what I encountered during my job search earlier this year. I applied for a contract position at a company I was interested in working at and when I was talking to the recruiter, I asked about this very situation. He said that his primary goal was to put people in the position to be successful and if it turned out that one of the other irons in the fire turned into a full-time position, of course that would be the better option. He just asked that I tell him as soon as possible so that he could handle things on his side with his customer. 
As 2016 begins to enter the final stretch with only 89 days (2 months, 4 weeks) remaining, I am glad I am not searching for a job now. I hope to never have to embark upon another job search in my career. It would ruin my self-esteem!



Editor's Note: The new standard for embedding videos is height="200" & width="200".

No comments: