Saturday, November 12, 2016

Get Me Some Justice

This may be embedded elsewhere, but I really don't care.


The drummer for one of the bands on Thursday night (the Flotsam & Jetsam concert @ Gabes Oasis) had a "Master of Puppets" t-shirt. After the show, I went up to him, with my "And Justice for All" t-shirt on, and said I preferred "Justice" but I liked "Master" as well. He said, "Really?" I said yes. I then briefly said that when "Justice" came out in summer 1989, I was playing with a rhythm guitarist in my basement and it was a great example of what a drummer and a rhythm guitarist should sound like. After I had said this to him, as I was walking away, I realized that the summer I was actually thinking of was 1993, which is when Ken Schmitt and I were rehearsing in 3904 Studios (the basement of where my dad still lives!), not 1989. In 1993, Ken was writing really good originals, like "Poor Musician Swingin'" and "I Made It Up" (both of which are available on a cassette called "Ken and I Volume II" that no one can purchase because I haven't converted the cassette to MP3.

Back to the point, I suppose it is true that Ken and I did have some good jams in the summer of 1989 because he was a member of that band (Assume) and, somewhere, there's a long instrumental jam that we played while James went to the music store to get a guitar string. That said, 1993 was really when he had developed as a guitarist and was studying "Guitar World" magazine to learn.

No comments: