Friday, September 15, 2017

Blaze

My quest to be in my Ideal Band has now hit 3 years, 3 weeks, 2 days, which is how long it has been since the lone Uncle Rico the Band gig at the Iowa City Elk's Club on Saturday, August 23, 2014. If I could go back in time, I would have made video recording the gig a priority. I would have gone over to the Elk's Club before the night of the gig and figured out where to put the camera, how to make sure it could be plugged in to electricity, and where to get the best angles. It still makes me sad to think that band disbanded after a single gig with me as their drummer.

I am also sad when I think about the sheer quantity of dead ends and false hopes and ups and downs I have faced in this simple quest to find the Ideal Band. I probably should create a page on this blog for them because to know the quantity of false hopes would mean reviewing my private journal over the last 1119 days.

The video below is from an ad on Craigslist.

Looking for a singer, guitarist, bass player and drummer
I write songs. I'm looking for other professional players for all instruments with a focus on being artists and truly crafting work. Not mass producing commercially viable tracks but rather well-crafted songs. Let's do something new.
Please have a listen and let me know:


These are the lyrics:

Do it right this time,
avoid the pantomime.
Ends and means agree,
in this soliloquy.
How many days
Will you work to make that final bridge blaze
From the hell that you raise?
Is it worth the try, defining alibi?
Or aligning greed, with maneuvers to impede?
Music & lyrics by Jay Monnin

While I think it's a decent tune, I'm not sure I want to even respond. I want to play gigs. I don't mind 'mass producing commercially viable tracks' if that's what it takes to play a gig at, say, Gus' or J&A Tap or Cedar River Landing or the Chrome Horse or Checkers or any other place that books bands on the weekends. There is also this ad, on the Waterloo Craigslist page:


Maybe, because I've been burned, I sent a simple 1 question inquiry, instead of my full bio:

What covers are you playing and what are the dates / locations for your already booked gigs?

Maybe that will yield a better result?

No comments: