Wednesday, September 6, 2017

New Phone? New HD?

According to my cell phone provider, I am eligible for a new cell phone. At a name recognition level, I've heard the new Android OS is called "Oreo" so when presented with an article about "Oreo," I read it as was the case when I read this article on Howtogeek.com - How to Limit Background Activity for Apps in Android Oreo to Save Battery Life, which addresses one of my more recent technology challenges: how to keep a positive charge on my cell phone when it 'feels' like I'm not doing anything excessive.

Also, I read this article on Howtogeek.com - How Long Do Solid State Drives Really Last? - with great interest. I remember when Matthew's work laptop died and its replacement was a machine with a solid state drive (SSD). I remember Matthew commented about how fast the laptop booted up in the AM and that he would likely never purchase a machine without a SSD in it. I had that situation / memory in mind when Alex decided the laptop we purchased for him in January 2017 - a Lenova i3 without a SSD - from Best Buy was too slow. We had purchased it in January 2017 so he could use it for his Kirkwood College classes, as opposed to waiting until closer to May 2017 and his high school graduation. As things played out, the i3 was deemed 'too slow' for him to use at UNI so, by July 2017, I found myself at Staples, with Alex, to buy a laptop, which is the machine Alex now uses on a daily basis. The laptop we purchased for him in July 2017 - a Lenova i5 with a SSD - from Staples seems to be working out well for him.

No comments: