Monday, October 16, 2017

Dipping into Word Help on a Monday

Display each Word document in its own window

Printing a Bookmark List

I love the fact that I can use MS Word for my disaster recovery RoboHelp project at work - that is not sarcasm! I think technical writing can certainly be done using MS Word. I think in order to do so, macros, styles, and templates are essential. If I didn't know enough to be dangerous, I'd really be frustrated.

I didn't mention that last Wednesday, I had a major breakthrough in how I'm using MS Word at work. I have 16 critical systems and a MS Word doc for each. There is a set of standard headings but if I were to decide I need to change "Apples" to "Natural Apples," I would need to access all 16 Word documents and make the change. That is not close to single sourcing content - not by a long shot! Instead, that is using 'copy and paste' to do cumbersome work.

I knew I could include text, as a link, from a separate MS Word doc, but it occurred to me to store these standard headings in a separate MS Word doc and link to those headings. That way, when I needed to change "Apples" to "Natural Apples," I could update the MS Word doc and all the documents that linked to that heading text would be updated! Easy-peasy!

Except, no, not exactly. This is a summary of what I was trying to do:

I’m working with many Word documents. I want to standardize the footer. I created a separate document, called “footer.docx”, which, for right now, has a single line with the text “Page X of Y” (I plan to have other information in the footer.docx file, but only if I solve my problem). I went to my “System_A.docx” file and inserted a reference to “footer.docx” so I see

{ INCLUDETEXT “S:\\Disaster Recovery Planning\\footer.docx” }

My problem is that instead of displaying the single line with the “Page X of Y” in the footer, I see two lines: the first has “Page X of Y” and the second is an empty paragraph mark. How do I eliminate the empty paragraph mark?

It took 22 minutes later when I joyfully found my answer:

Found my answer!
https://wordmvp.com/FAQs/TblsFldsFms/includetextfields.htm - needed to insert a bookmark and include the link to the specific bookmark, not the entire document:

You should be aware that including the entirety of a source document brings along the last paragraph mark in the document, which controls quite a lot of formatting and can affect your target document. If you are only including part of a document consider whether you want to include the paragraph mark at the end of your selection, as including it will result in a paragraph break in the target document.


What the hell did I do prior to the Internet?!?

No comments: