Tuesday, April 7, 2020

Call and Respond

This was the call for ideas:


This was my answer:


The reference to "finding a bassist who would actually come to rehearsal was a struggle in the early days" is a blind swipe at the first bassist in the first band I was ever in - Assume - in the summer of 1989. The reference to "two guitars" is a salute to Kenny Schmitt and James Goodrich for the hours the three of us spent trying to hammer out tunes.

I used to think I was "good" at documenting my drumming, but I have come to believe I could have been better at it. I should have started a spiral notebook to document every time I jammed with a guitarist or took my drums to someone else's house for a jam session or took my drums to Saint Pius X in Cedar Rapids when I played in a group called "The Disciples of Soul." Doing that would have built a list to reflect upon, especially now when I can't go to Cedar Rapids and jam with RPM (Randy Paul Mark) in Randy's basement. I miss jamming "Cortez" with them. Skip to the 4:15 point in the video below:


No comments: