Wednesday, April 29, 2020

A Little Secret

I am tired of COVID-19.

On April 25, which was awesome weather, my friend Brian Rock* asked me if I wanted to go hit a bucket of golf balls at Quail Creek in North Liberty. Eventually, I realized that doing so would mean I would touch a lot of dirty balls.

I declined.

Does COVID-19 live on a golf ball? If one golf ball has it, do they all have it in the bucket?

When I reread this in the future, I hope I think those are silly questions. 

To timestamp this moment in my life, there is now a lot of talk about reopening businesses. The date for working Some say, "Yes, I own a business and if I don't re-open, I will lose my livelihood." Others say, "No, everyone needs to stay at home for another N months, so we can eradicate this virus."

As I've described elsewhere, I am cursed with seeing both sides to pretty much any topic. In this case, I can't imagine being the owner of a business that was forced to close and sitting and waiting for the news that I can re-open. I also don't want people to go "back to normal" (if that can even exist) and to think that "we beat this virus and I can do every thing I did before."

I don't know the right answer to the question, "When should a state re-open?" I wish a time machine because if I did, I could go to that date, remember it, and then return to the present to tell everyone when it will be safe.



*By the way, that's not his actual last name, but I refer to him as "Brian Rock" on this blog because I had to distinguish him from "Brian Guitar" who played in Lou's Classic Ride. If you knew his last name, you would call me clever.

No comments: