Tuesday, April 7, 2020

CONTENT REVIEW: DO NOT PUBLISH

I didn't set out to write about a mistake I saw on Amazon.com - it just happened. 

In fact, until today, I believed that Amazon doesn't make mistakes. Whether it's fair to think this or not, it's what I thought.

In the X number of years I have used Amazon.com, where X = a number that is greater than 1 and less than 100, I had never noticed a blatant mistake.

I know someone made a mistake because the Print Length is 1 pages and the description says 480 pages. I also believe that the [CONTENT REVIEW: DO NOT PUBLISH] text was supposed to be a flag for the publishing system to not actually create this page. You can click this link and go see if it still exists. [CONTENT REVIEW: DO NOT PUBLISH].

I was not browsing Amazon.com to look for errors. I was there because I received this email today, Tuesday, April 7, 2020, at 1:00 AM:

We currently have some of our best-selling Linux books free in Kindle format only right now at Amazon.com until Saturday.

Go to this page to view what they are.

Enjoy and share this email with anyone you think would be interested in learning more about Linux.

P.S. You don't have to own a Kindle device in order to read this book. Just use the Kindle Cloud Reader or download the Kindle app for your PC, Mac, or mobile device.

P.P.S. I wanted to share this resource in the hopes that you can take advantage of it. However, if you don't have an Amazon.com account, then you probably won't be able to download the book. Sorry, there are no other free options available and no PDF copies available.

I clicked the link in the text above and reviewed the list of Kindle books that were available and discovered I am not interested in learning about Linux at this time in my life. Knowing that they are free books and knowing that they are likely awesome, I'm just not interested. I did browse through some reviews of this book and found the review below. I believe that review is worth storing on this blog. At first, I wasn't sure if it was an attempt at humor or not, but then, after re-reading it a couple of times, I came to the conclusion that this reviewer is serious.


Initially, I was put off by the review because of its tone, but then I considered that I would write something similar in a review of a book about Metallica if the author stated on page 1 of the book that Lars Ulrich was born in England. It would be factually incorrect and if I were at a bookstore and picked a book off of the bookshelf or if I  were reading a preview of the book on Amazon.com, I would put the book back in its place. Another example might be if I picked up a book about technical writing and on the first page, the author stated that copying content and pasting that content into multiple MS Word files is a sound approach to working as a technical writer. If I were at a bookstore and picked a book off of the bookshelf or if I were reading a preview of the book on Amazon.com and read that gibberish on page 1, I would take a picture of the book so that I could write a review of the book online using the same type of tone as the review above since the author would be breaking the rules of OOD (Object-Oriented Documentation). I would also want to include a picture on my Single Sourcing Rant page located on this blog.

No comments: