Tuesday, October 15, 2013

An Open Letter to Big Picture Media Publicists

Natalie / Dayna,

Thank you for setting up the passes for Megan and I! I have to tell you that over the years of going to concerts to write reviews, I have had experiences where press passes “work” (like last night) and experiences when they don’t “work” (like when I drove to State Fair in Des Moines in 1998 to interview Dana Strum in Slaughter and when I got to the box office, no one had heard of me and they thought I was just trying to get into the show for free.) I don’t keep a list of “good press people” but if I did, Big Picture Media would be on it! So thank you for your work.

As far as the concert itself, it was excellent. As my reviews on dailyvault.com indicate, I’m a fan of Bayside & they played very well. Their performance was worthy of the 2 hour drive to Des Moines. I had a great time – screaming the lyrics to “They’re Not Horses, They’re Unicorns” with Megan just as loud as me – was a highlight in June 2012 as well as last night.

However, when Bayside ended @ 10 PM, we decided to leave as I had to be up today @ 6 AM and Megan had to be up today @ 6:30. And while I was originally disappointed that it wasn’t Bayside as the headliner, I was kind of glad they weren’t headlining. Thus, I plan to include some sort of an apology to Motion City Soundtrack for skipping out before they played. We listened to their songs on the drive to Des Moines and missing “When You’re Around” live is a regret.

As I was driving home, I was joking with Megan. I said we should go to the Iowa City show tomorrow night after her high school’s band concert. I said, “After all, Bayside came on ~9 and your band concert should be over by 8:30. Then we could see Motion City Soundtrack.

I don’t think she thought I was very funny.

Paul

No comments: