Tuesday, October 1, 2013

5 x 3 Years Ago...

On October 1, 1998, there were a lot of things going on in life. I began a new job, my second since leaving my first technical writing position in February. I had left Company #1 to go to Company #2, but they were having money issues - when you sit around waiting for the mail to see if anyone sent in a check, that's bad - so there was a lot of anticipation and relief that I was moving on. Alex was a mere 22 days from being born and Megan, our princess, was very excited to be a big sister.

Looking back on my life then is easy to do from where I sit now. I have been through a lot of crap since then, especially starting with October 2010 until May 2011. I am not boastful, but damn, I wouldn't go back for any reason I can conjure in my head.

I am happy. Home is good. Life is good.

And, just for the record, I didn't work on the conversion projects last night. I watched WWE Raw and then watched how the government is shutting down. I have to confess, I agreed with a "Democratic Strategist" (DS) who said that the Republicans are not being smart about this whole ObamaCare issue. He said they have tried to defund it 40+ times so yes, it's on record that they don't like it. It would be perfect for the Republicans to let ObamaCare "begin" and then, for the 2014 elections, run on the platform that "Hey, we voted against it and if you vote for a Democrat, you're saying you like it." The DS pointed out that if the Republicans would let ObamaCare fail instead of shutting down the government, they would be able to use that in the future. Instead, they are going to be known as the party that pouted, basically, and didn't get their way so they shut down the government and pouted. I don't normally agree with Democrats - after all, they think that killing a baby is a woman's choice - but I agreed with this DS.

I'm very curious to see when the government reopens.

No comments: