Thursday, October 3, 2013

Forgotten and the Need for an Organization Strategy

I left my wireless USB mouse on my desk at home, but, thankfully, Matthew (Lou's Classic Ride bassist) had one in a drawer. Then, suddenly, the song I heard just the other day on the "Classic Rock" station came through my brain. The idea of working today and being productive and only using my laptop's mouse pad ranks up in the world as one of the worst visions of hell I can fathom.



Meanwhile, I worked on the conversion project last night. After running the DOS batch file, I have this for a total:

62366 File(s) 525,387,949,119 bytes

Because I am well over 62,000, I am feeling good about the project. Actually, just by looking at what I accomplished last night, I think I'm starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel. I know I have two spindles of 100 each waiting for me. I just remembered I do have a box of CDs in the sump pump room that, I think, need to converted - I think they are all ones I have to manually enter song information (title, artist, album, etc) because they are either local bands or bands that aren't in the database that Windows Media Player uses to obtain that information automatically, but if I had to guess, I don't think there's more than 100 in that box.

Of course, even if I had 300 more CDs to go - and I don't know if that is a realistic count - I need to audit my CDs. What I told Matthew this AM while borrowing his mouse for the day is that I didn't have an "organization strategy" for this project when I started. I didn't mark the CDs as I converted them and I didn't designate specific locations within the den for where I would put "done" CDs and where I would put "not done" CDs. I also have to decide what to do with the inlays / booklets for all of them and how I ultimately want to be able to access the physical CD in the future. I have thought about some sort of Excel file or perhaps even some user-defined field within Windows Media Player that would identify the spindle the physical CD is located on. That would also allow me to identify if it is a promo CD or a non-promo CD, which would be helpful in figuring out just how many promotional CDs I have accumulated. I don't remember my very first promo CD I received - I don't think I have it documented anywhere because while I thought it was awesome to get a free CD (or maybe it was a cassette?) I had no idea I would accumulate as many as I have from that day. 

But, back to the conversion projects. Just because I seem to be nearing the end of the CD to MP3 conversion does not mean there is not more to do. Once I am convinced I have all of my CDs converted to MP3 and I "sign off" that it is complete, I will resume work on the cassette to MP3 conversion. That child story of the parent Conversion Project story has rapidly slipped down the list of priorities in life. I will need to wrap my head around the VHS to "digital" (I hate saying VHS to DVD because I can't imagine the undertaking of completing a 1:1 VHS:DVD conversion with the number of VHS, VHS-C, and Mini-DV tapes we have floating around in our house. I think we would simply be better off to convert to digital and then, if necessary, to burn a DVD.

That said, I don't really see a lot of free time in my schedule - our family's schedule - for sitting in the den and working on these conversions. While the rest of October is totally crazy, November into December doesn't look much more relaxed. I'd love to squeeze in a few Lou's Classic Ride rehearsals - tentatively, we are rehearsing next Wednesday night - so as to not lose the momentum from the Courage Ride gig and to progress to playing at Gus' or playing at J&A Tap or playing at Todd Philpott's bar in Tiffin or some other place I'm not thinking of at the moment. We are not rehearsing this week, but are getting together on Wednesday, 10/9/13.

That leads me to next week, which is obscenely crazy:
  • Monday - after conferences at school for the kids, go see the Metallica movie in 3D in Cedar Rapids with Phil - hopefully, Matthew joins us - at 7:30. 
  • Tuesday - Alex has basketball and I need to pick him up @ 8:30 (maybe I can work on the conversion projects)
  • Wednesday - Lou's Classic Ride rehearsal from 8 PM to 10ish PM
  • Thursday - Alex has basketball and I need to pick him up @ 8:30 (maybe I can work on the conversion projects)
  • Friday - Megan has surgery
  • Saturday - Kids have the band car wash fundraiser and then we have our parish picnic, which is a fundraiser for NCYC
  • Sunday - Maybe, possibly, nothing!
  • Monday - Bayside in Des Moines with Megan
  • Tuesday - Possibly a Lou's Classic Ride rehearsal
  • Wednesday - Sounds of the Stadium band concert (why I'm seeing Bayside on Monday in Des Moines instead of in Iowa City on 10/16) 
  • Thursday - Gene Hoglan drum clinic at the Iowa City Yacht Club!!!!
  • Friday - Maybe, possibly, nothing!
  • Saturday - Maybe, possibly, nothing except I know Alex serves @ 5:15
  • Sunday - Alex has Confirmation class
The week of 10/21 looks remarkably bare, as of now, but I'm sure it will fill up!

No comments: