Friday, October 4, 2013

First CD?

In summer of 1989, I had just finished my freshman year of college at Mount Mercy College. Mark, nicknamed Nieman, had a really sweet stereo system but he didn't have room for it to go back to his parent's house in Waukegan, IL, for the summer. Mark let me use his stereo over the summer. It had a CD player & he allowed me to borrow his CDs, which included REM's Green & Van Halen's OU812.

When Mark came to pick up his stereo, after deciding not to return to Mount Mercy, he let me keep OU812 because he knew I adored Alex Van Halen as a musician. I still have that CD and, whenever I listen to that CD, I think about Nieman and I wonder how he's doing. It's a lot like that movie "Stand By Me" where I think about the friends I've had in my life and how there's an ebb and flow to it all. We used to write letters to each other (Mark and I), but that has become something I just don't do anymore, for a myriad or reasons. Maybe, someday, we'll reconnect.

No comments: