Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Idiots Doing Idiotic Things Idiotically

Former Iowa Hawkeye football player Tyler Sash is the latest athlete to drink too much booze and do something stupid. Why can't athletes keep their composure and act like human beings? Here's how I answer my own question. Despite what the media and fans would have you believe, athletes are human beings. They are not any different from me in the sense that athletes are human. They are not robots; they do not always have 100% control of themselves. And neither do I. I'm not perfect and I make mistakes.

Why would I hold anyone else to a standard higher than the one I set for myself? The latest in a long list of mistakes I've made is when Alex and I cleaned out the van on Saturday, a Kohl's credit card bill for over $170 was discovered. It had somehow found its way onto the floor and, thank the stars, Alex didn't throw it away when he found it. The bill is due today, 5/14. Considering what did and did not happen, it's easy to speculate on how easily it would have been to not be aware of this Kohl's bill.
  • What if we had not cleaned out the van on Saturday? 
  • What if Alex had thought it wasn't something worth keeping?
  • What if it had been lumped in with the other garbage in the van that was being thrown away?
Those are all possibilities. And now, considering what happened to Tyler Sash:
  • What if Tyler Sash did not have that last drink that put him over the edge?
  • What if Tyler Sash had a friend with him that refused to let him drive a scooter?
  • What if Tyler Sash had stopped instead of fleeing authorities?
  • What if Tyler Sash had not hidden behind a tree and, instead, surrendered immediately to the authorities?

Life is about choices.

No comments: