Monday, June 30, 2014

Blitzing the Inbox

Megan keeps getting emails from colleges that, apparently, want her to attend *their* college. Some of the techniques used by the college's Admissions department are well-thought out. One shows a graduation class on a raft and talks about their on-campus beach and a 97% graduation rate. I commend the college for creativity. Megan actually intends to attend UNI next year in pursuit of a degree in elementary education.

It is sometimes difficult for me, as a graduate of Mount Mercy College with a minor in Secondary Education, to encourage her. I still have that awful shitty student teaching experience taste in my mouth and even though it was during the fall of 1991 and so much has happened to me since then that has been positive in my life, I find myself suppressing an "all in" attitude. This is my issue and I need to get over it. I realize that teaching is in the blood as Mom was a teacher for 40 years and for many years, I wanted to fill the empty voids of young minds with grand ideas about literature and writing. Student teaching destroyed me in so many ways and, I guess, now that I consider myself rebuilt into a technical writer, I don't have the will to rip the wounds open that have mercifully healed over the last 23 years.

Again, though, this is my issue. I pray for Megan's success as a teacher and I believe she will do awesome.

No comments: