Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Do I Care?

Alex has been attending the University of Iowa drumline camp this week. On Monday night, when I picked him up, he asked if we had plans for the night. I had just talked to Karen and the only plan I knew of was to have roast for supper because we had not eaten it on Sunday night. I asked why. He said that the drumline camp had rented the University of Iowa Recreation Building from 7 - 9 and he wanted to go meet up with his friends.

Friends?

I was impressed. I was told recently that I don't make friends easily. I was told by this person that I am friendly to people and I talk to a lot of people but as far as real friends, I don't do that easily. Or well. Or whatever.

Thus, when I heard Alex use the word "friends" my ears perked up. He talked in detail about the new friends he had met. One of them likes Spaceballs and either the same one or a different friend knows my friend's son in Burlington. Alex asked if he had seen the movie "The Goonies" because they were talking about it.

All of that led to us going to our eye doctor appointments and then, immediately after, driving home to North Liberty, eating roast with Karen, and then Alex and I getting back in the van to go the University of Iowa Recreation Building. Almost as soon as I parked, Alex was off in front of me to go into the building. It was one of those "I'm so excited and I can't believe you're walking instead of running to get to where we are going" type of situations. Alex raced off and I followed.

When Karen and I were chaperones for Megan's prom in May, we came in the entrance where I came in on Monday night. That's how I knew there was a television in a pseudo lounge where I could hang out. On the television, the College World Series baseball game was on. I couldn't find a remote control to change the channel so I was watching Virginia and Vanderbilt play during what this article describes as a "disastrous 3rd inning." Do I really care about the College World Series? No, I do not. I was saddened to watch the fall of Nathan Kirby. I had never heard his name until Monday night. I hope he recovers from the game and redeems his image before the CWS is over.

No comments: