Friday, June 13, 2014

See You Later, Not Goodbye

It's funny how life goes sometimes. The way my brain works is that when something happens, I reflect about similar events in the past. I find it easy to compare / contrast the past event with the current event. I'm doing that this morning. Our friends and neighbors are moving today so I'm thinking about past events when I was confronted with the reality that I would not see someone on a daily basis like I had in the past. I have been in the same situation countless times in my life and it doesn't get better or easier the more it happens.

The specific event I'm thinking about is when I was leaving the band Old Stew back in November 1992. As you may recall, Old Stew was the band I had put together while in college to play the Mount Mercy College talent show. I have captured several memories about them elsewhere on this blog. Anyways, when I was packing up my drums for what would be the final time, Shoebox, our vocalist, looked at me and said without the usual easy-going edge in his voice, "This isn't good-bye, this is see you later. Don't say goodbye." At the time, I honestly thought I would see him again so his words made sense. However, to the best I can remember, that was the last time I have seen him. I remember him so fondly whereas other people / friends have come in and out of my life and I don't remember them as specifically as I remember "saying see you later" to Shoebox.

Earlier this morning, shortly before 6:30 AM, I posted the following picture on Facebook with the text in the white box. I sincerely hope life is good for the Rainey's in New Hampshire and equally sincerely hope our paths cross again. I said "see you later" to Ron, Margaret, Wade, Sally, and Mary. I don't think I said the word "Goodbye."


No comments: