Saturday, June 28, 2014

Booking a Band

I am having a flashback to the era of my life from February 1992 through February 1995. It was during that time in my life where a lot of significant life events happened. In chronological order, and with several events left out for the sake of making a point:
  1. in February 1992, I sent out my first cover letter and resume
  2. in April 1992, I graduated from Mount Mercy College,
  3. in June 1992, I proposed to Karen, 
  4. in September 1992, I was hired at my first permanent full-time job at APAC, selling AD&D insurance
  5. in November 1992, I asked for a temporary leave from APAC to work a scoring position at ACT
  6. in January 1993, I stayed at ACT when they were awarded a contract to process federal financial aid applications.
  7. between January 1993 and January 1995, I applied for pretty much any job that was even remotely related to writing. 
This is my point. I sent out I don't know how many cover letters and resumes. If I could go back in time, I would have created a tracking file for each I put in the mail. It seemed like an endless process.

And today, as I look around at the Facebook pages and websites of various bars that book bands in the Cedar Rapids / Iowa City corridor, I am sending out what basically amounts to a cover letter / resume combination. I am hoping that someone that receives my email watches the Uncle Rico video of "Ring of Fire," watches the videos of me playing drums on this blog, and concludes that they need to book us.

The truth is that it now seems we should have been looking into bookings almost as soon as I joined the band. One venue's next open Saturday night is Saturday, January 24, 2015. That's a long ways away! Another venue said to contact them in January because their 2014 calendar is booked. Another venue books bands 6 months at a time. I had been hoping for something before the end of the summer, but that doesn't seem realistic.

No comments: