Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Drummer with an Opinion about Bassists

I am a drummer, not a bassist, guitarist, keyboardist, or vocalist. I drum. Therefore, I have no idea if naming Duran Duran's John Taylor as "the best bassist" is right or wrong. Yet, while I have no experience with the instrument, that result is the discussed in this article.


It's also a terrible idea to name one person as "better" than another. It's a slippery slope. Considering drummers, I cannot say who the best drummer is. I like heavy metal / hard rock and, because of that, I consider Neil Peart, Lars Ulrich, and Tommy Aldridge to all be fantastic. That's because of the music I listen to on a regular basis. But that's metal / rock. How likely would my favorite drummers be mentioned by fans of jazz or country or funk or blues or any other genre? It all comes down to personal preference.


That's why the Modern Drummer magazine annual reader's poll always split drummers up by genre.


Always.

No comments: