Thursday, August 7, 2014

Loaner

My primary work laptop has been in tech support all week. I checked out a loaner laptop on Monday. I had to check that one back in to get the loaner laptop I'm using now because the first loaner laptop didn't have Microsoft Office installed and today, Sonia and I are going to be combing through a user guide that is maintained in Microsoft Word.

Regarding my primary laptop, the technical support contact with whom I am working emailed me yesterday. She had a question regarding Dreamweaver CS5. I had the stand-alone version installed, but it is no longer available as a stand-alone. The question was, "Do you still use [Dreamweaver]?"

I have always liked Dreamweaver. I remember a decade ago writing up a short justification for why Dreamweaver should be purchased. I was at a different company then and I was using RoboHelp to write online Help. At the time, the built-in HTML editor for RoboHelp added proprietary HTML code. At the time, the thought was that if the online Help were ever moved to a different tool, having RoboHelp-specific code would result in extra work to move to the new tool. Since that time, apparently, the built-in HTML editor has removed the functionality that inserts that extra proprietary HTML code. I haven't touched RoboHelp for a few years now so I don't really know more about RoboHelp in its current state.

Over the years, my use of Dreamweaver has decreased. We are using Confluence more and more. In fact, some of the HTML pages I used to work on are now being converted to Confluence. I think the need for using Dreamweaver will continue to decline but I also think it's a great tool to have installed. I honestly don't know when the need to code HTML will arise but I like knowing that I have Dreamweaver installed to use for when that situation would come up. My manager agreed.

All that is background for the email I got from the technical support contact that was sent last night:

Excellent, then I will work to get you an upgrade to the suite then. My apologies for not getting back to you sooner, but I had something come up yesterday that took me away from the office all day today. I am online at home answering some emails. I will be in touch tomorrow with your laptop in hand. Thank you for being so patient.

No comments: