Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Farewell to a Legend

Per this article, Smulekoff’s, a fixture of downtown Cedar Rapids, is closing.

I wasn't a frequent shopper at the store, but I recognize it as a fixture. Why this story is relevant to me, then, is because I have a friend of mine named Gary. He graduated from Mount Mercy College with me in 1992 and, shortly after graduation, began working at Smulekoff's. He has worked there ever since. When my dad and I went there to get furniture for my mom's room in the nursing home, I remember asking specifically for Gary to deliver the furniture because I knew that he would be good at his job. It was a real comfort to me to know that I didn't have to worry about anything related to her furniture being delivered.

Now Gary has to find a new job after putting in 20+ years of service. I hope his job search is already over because of a contact he made through all the deliveries he made.

No comments: