Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Sorrow and Grief

We start this Tuesday with an article about Robin Williams, who is dead. BREAKING: Actor and comedian Robin Williams found dead at 63 screams the headline in my email inbox. It was the first of many articles that will be published about his life. In this first article, I found this part of the article to be relevant to me.

"In his 1986 one-man show at New York's Metropolitan Opera, Williams revealed that he'd managed to get clean. But it was a crushing realization that the change wasn't a miraculous one. "I realized when I became a former alcoholic, I was the same a**hole," he said."


This is the second article about his death and this is the third article.

Before being sucked into a long list of links to articles about a deceased comedian, I wanted to capture what happened to me this morning at my 7 AM dentist appointment today. When I arrived shortly before 7, there was a woman / fellow patient waiting outside. The door, apparently, was locked, but, as I walked up to the door, the receptionist unlocked the door. After we both went through the door and checked ourselves in at the receptionist desk and, as I sat down on a couch in the waiting area, I felt the urge to talk about Robin Williams with someone. I said to this stranger I had never seen before, "I think Robin Williams would find it funny that we were waiting in line to get into the dentist office." She chuckled and that led into a really nice chat while we waited. When I get some more free time, a summary of our conversation could end up on this blog.

For the moment, though, I wish Robin Williams wouldn't have taken his own life. Does it mean he went out on his own terms? I would accept that statement. He didn't end up being a forgotten doddering old man at a nursing home who slowly deteriorates in front of the staff's eyes. He didn't die by a car accident on a random trip to the grocery store. The aforementioned woman said that she thought there were discussions about a "Mrs. Doubtfire" sequel and that he had several projects in the works. I'm not sure how the premise of a sequel to "Mrs. Doubtfire" would pan out, but who knows what the script would be like. A quick check through Google confirms her statement about a sequel.

I along with everyone else that is alive today will never know what great ideas were simmering in Williams' mind because, bluntly, those ideas were all silenced the moment Williams' heart ceased to pump blood.

No comments: