Thursday, September 8, 2016

Brief Excitement Followed by Disappointment

After he has the gold statue securely in his bag, we see Indiana Jones fleeing the temple. It's the iconic first action scene in "Raiders of the Lost Ark" and we watch as he comes to the chasm. His guide has crossed it and demands that our hero toss him the idol. Jones does so only to have the guide drop Jones' whip on the ground and not aid in Jones' escape. Jones is desperate and jumps. The camera shot is brief but, looking up from the bottom of the chasm, we see how far of a jump it is. Jones is trying to grasp hope.


It is that precise moment, when Jones thinks he may perish but still wants to live, I think of when I read an article like this one about recovering data from a dead hard drive. My struggles and anguish regarding external hard drives that I have endured while converting my CDs to MP3 are common prose on this blog, sporadically peppered throughout the years I've posted to this blog as well as on the music re-conversion page. It's an awful sinking feeling when it happens and it has happened too often. In fact, as I was clearing out the den last night as part of the den project, I came across 2 hard drives that used to be inside of an external hard drive case. Using bigger-than-necessary letters on a yellow sticky note, I was reminded of the condition of those drives:

DEAD

No comments: