Tuesday, September 6, 2016

You Judge for Yourself

KISS bassist Gene Simmons doesn't drink, doesn't think anyone should drink, but if you want to buy his booze, he'll sell it to you, per this article. I liked this part of the article:

“I’m not here to convince anyone of my lifestyle,” he insists. “This is what I want for me. You have to be judge and jury for yourself.”

I feel the same way. Being sober is what I want for me and I wouldn't want anyone to think they have to do something for me when they don't want to do it. I know I spent a lot of years feeling guilty about wanting to drink booze, especially when I lived in my parents' house during the summers of 1989, 1990, 1991, 1992, & 1993. I knew Mom didn't want me to drink. Her brother was an alcoholic; my dad's dad was an alcoholic. I realize that she just didn't want me to be one either. I totally understood that back then. What I objected to was her telling me in words and actions what I should do or shouldn't do.

That leads me to Megan, booze, and college. While I am happy that Megan is at UNI and has, thus far, decided she doesn't even want to step foot in a bar, I commend her. I support her choice to not drink but not because I'm her father and I don't want her to make the mistakes I made. I support her because she owns her choice. She has resisted peer pressure and, per her words to me, has stayed home instead of going out to the bars in Cedar Falls with her dorm mates. I hope she stays strong in her conviction, unlike her father. I started out college the same way but only lasted until the end of October of my freshman year before I started being an a$$hole to my family and friends. It took a lot of years of embarrassing those I care about and love before I got my head screwed on straight and quit boozing.

Today is 2076 days (5 years, 8 months, 6 days) since I had a drop of booze.

No comments: