Thursday, September 8, 2016

No Mercy For What We Are Doing

Rush Limbaugh brought to my attention an article in which the #NeverTrump movement is brought to its knees with logic and precision. He seemed really animated about it - I've put the link to it here - The Flight 93 Election - but I don't want you to click it until you listen to a couple of versions of Metallica's "No Remorse" that are below. Updated: this is a rebuttal article to that one.

Rant: See, don't you just hate when links are sprinkled within the text? Are you supposed to go to the link and then come back? You as a reader have to make a choice. 

Back to the subject of this post.

Personally, I never declared myself to be a #NeverTrump disciple.

I don't think I would.

Last night, I was thinking about Trump after watching parts of the "Commander-in-Chief Forum" on MSNBC. I also watched parts of the HRC portion of the show, including the Saying 'I Make No Excuses' for Mishandling Classified Material, Clinton Offers New One part. Ultimately, though, I decided to record it with the DVR because there was a compelling rerun of "Shark Tank" on at the same time and I wanted to watch that too. Plus, one of the "The Dark Knight" trilogy films was on and though, tempted as I was, I didn't stay up until 2:30 AM to watch how it ends.

Anyways, Steve Berman's column about how Donald Trump does not need my vote, especially the opening of the column, is really remarkable, which I'll quote below:

Sometimes my kids bug me to buy a toy, or a cookie, or to take them somewhere, after I’ve told them no. They keep bugging me, then they bug my wife. Then they act sullen like we’re somehow abusing them. Then they bring up how other kids’ parents have bought this or gone here or given cookies.

Eventually it becomes a battle of wills, and the thing itself doesn’t even matter. Then it becomes an imperative to get the kids to just be quiet and stop bugging me. Then it becomes, “Oh hell, fine! Let’s go.” Anything to stop the constant nagging.

Even the Bible has a story about the value of nagging.

He said: “In a certain town there was a judge who neither feared God nor cared what people thought. And there was a widow in that town who kept coming to him with the plea, ‘Grant me justice against my adversary.’

“For some time he refused. But finally he said to himself, ‘Even though I don’t fear God or care what people think, yet because this widow keeps bothering me, I will see that she gets justice, so that she won’t eventually come and attack me!’” (Luke 18:2-5)

The latest in the long line of, “fine, shut up, I’ll vote for Trump” has come from former NeverTrumper Mark Levin.


It's just like the opening words James Hetfield sings in "No Remorse" on "Kill 'Em All":

No mercy for what we are doing
No thought to even what we have done
We don't need to feel the sorrow
No remorse for the helpless one

I really think Trump is helpless in this election cycle. While I really appreciate his passion - and I saw a lot of it in the clips I saw of the aforementioned show - I don't know if I believe he is the best person for the job. I don't think HRC is the best person for the job - just to be clear. I will watch the debates with keen interest to see if I can be swayed by Trump. Otherwise, hell, I may end up voting for a third party candidate...

Here's the Metallica I promised:






No comments: