Tuesday, September 27, 2016

White Privilege Definition

Saw this on Facebook this AM:


I'm on board with this definition - I get it. My only other comment would be that the solution used to be very simple. You obey an officer's command. Police officers have split seconds to make a decision and unlike many people, that decision is then broadcasted on social media for non-police officers to critique & second guess as if they would have made a different decision. I can tag this as "politics" and "Republican Tendencies" but that's only because race, in America, is extremely political.

Kind of related, but not exactly is a post my friend Ralph shared on his Facebook page. Ralph & I worked together at Quintrex a long time ago. I think about him fairly often whenever I think about great musicians I've been lucky enough to be able to play drums with in the same room. Ralph, Steve, and I started out playing in Steve's walkout basement and having fun. The fun continued when Jon, a friend of Ralph's joined both the band and Quintrex. I have a video of Ralph, Jon, and I playing this amazing funk influenced instrumental piece, complete with different feels and moods - it is amazing to watch. That band - we never played a gig but I called us "Free Beer" - fizzled in the early 2000s. It was clear I needed to practice more and, unfortunately, where I was in life with 2 small kids, there wasn't a way to bring my drums up to CR for rehearsal, rehearse, load them up, take them home, unload, find any time to practice, and repeat. It just wasn't realistic and if the drummer is weak in your band, your band is weak.

All that to say that when Ralph posted this on his Facebook page, I thought it was great so I shared it on my Facebook page. As with many things that appear on my FB page, it is something that belongs here as well (verbatim)

many of us feel strongly that something has gone awry with our country, and we look to politicians for solutions, and feel disappointed. I think the answer to our crisis is not a political one, but a spiritual one. Christ said that one of the greatest commandments was "To Love your neighbor as yourself". Frankly, we need to be doing a lot more of that right now. If enough of us took those words to the depths of our heart - we'd start solving the problems facing our nation. God bless you all!

No comments: