Wednesday, October 11, 2017

Classic Music to Balance Out the Sax

Inspired by this article about legendary drummer Billy Cobham - Behind the Curtain with Legendary Drummer Billy Cobham, I revisited his work. I honestly can say this was the first time I've EVER listened to Mahavishnu Orchestra.

My first-ever exposure to Billy Cobham was this album. I purchased it in the summer of 1987 before my senior year of high school at a bookstore in Kirksville, MO, when I went to a drumline camp for a week at what was (then) Northeast Missouri State. I saw the cassette for around $5 (which back then, was very cheap). I had remembered reading an interview with Cobham in Modern Drummer magazine shortly before that and then, right there, was a cheap cassette featuring his drumming. The thing about this release is that the first track "Jailbait" was the only tune I could specifically name prior to hearing the album all these years later. I was a rock-influenced drummer at the time and hearing that tune made me a fan of Cobham's playing.


After listening to the following videos, I wonder what my drumming would be like today had I invested as much time in Billy Cobham's drumming as I did in my main influences, which are (in alphabetical order by last name):
  1. Tommy Aldridge
  2. Peter Criss
  3. Liberty DeVito
  4. Lars Ulrich
  5. Alex Van Halen



No comments: