Thursday, September 13, 2018

Beards are Racist!

From So Now My Facial Hair is Racist and Sexist? That’s Fantastic

I remember when I was just out of college starting my teaching job being concerned that I would inadvertently make a joke, use a term, or offer a pop culture reference that I wouldn’t realize was offensive. Be it racial, gender, sexual, I knew that my somewhat sheltered bubble of an existence to that point had left me somewhat vulnerable and naïve to those things.

Seventeen years later I’m no longer concerned about it, even though the environment today is far more sensitive and far less forgiving for such missteps (just ask NASCAR driver Conor Daly who lost a sponsorship because it was discovered his dad used the n-word decades ago). I don’t worry about it because it is simply not within the capacity of any mortal man to keep track of all the social justice no-no’s and faux-pas that now surround us.

No comments: