Friday, September 28, 2018

Want to Hear my ST Story?

I'll just say it: I wish that Riverside, IA, had the facility to host this event tonight since William Shatner's most noted character - Captain James T. Kirk - was born in Riverside, IA. Spoiler warning: I'm not attending this event tonight:


I have a history with Star Trek & "Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan" movie. It was the first Star Trek movie I ever saw. I saw it with John Rath at the Westdale Four Movie Theater. The movie was released on June 4, 1982, when I was (exactly) 12.5 years old. I know I saw it in the theater. Because I had never watched the TV series or seen "Star Trek: The Motion Picture" I don't have a positive connotation when I think about the movie. Perhaps I had a kind of subtle knowledge of Captain Kirk and the others due to pop culture but it wasn't enough. I had no idea what was happening. I remember the 'bug in the ear' scene - perhaps why I am sensitive to videos about bugs being pulled out of ears on youtube.com! - and Ricardo Montalbán played Khan - I knew that actor from his time on the TV series "Fantasy Island." As far as why Khan & Kirk were enemies? I had no clue. All of that text to say I have zero desire to pay $62 to see a movie that was released 13265 days (36 years, 3 months, 3 weeks, 3 days) earlier to the September 28, 2018, showing.

No comments: