Saturday, January 26, 2013

Furnacy

I hate furnaces.

They should exist in a residence and work. There shouldn't be any thing I need to know abou thtem. You should set the temperature and it should work. Kind of like a car. You should put the key in the ignition and it should start.

Speaking of cars, Karen's heater in the van didn't work the other day so we are dropping it off Monday night to have Liberty Motors fix it on Tuesday. Since they will have it all day, and the van is due for an oil change, they are doing that as well.

Next week is busy outside of work. Tuesday looks to be a hectic day for a number of reasons. First, I will take Karen to work, then go to work. For the past few weeks, this has been our Tuesday 'tradition' and I like it because I spend quality time with Karen and I get to work by 7. I have always been a morning person so anytime I can get in to work before the majority of my co-workers arrive, I seize it. Around 10:00, I am donating blood and that will take a hour out of my day. I leave work around 3 to pick Karen up by 3:30. Then my day slows down as we will then pick up the van and that should be pretty much it, excluding normal night activities at home.

But that doesn't mean I will be bored when I am work. Hardly. We are approaching the point where the long list of documentation changes that need to be made need to get done. Yesterday (Friday) I literally sat at my desk all day and worked solid. I didn't even buy a Mountain Dew or candy bar in the afternoon. I am energized by the work I do and I enjoy it. I work with MS Word and despite all the things you can read about on the Internet about Word being "buggy" and "not appropriate for professional documentation" - I think it's fine. I have worked with MS Word since version 2.0 at Epley Marketing Services, where I worked in 1994 and 19995. I don't understand all of what Word can do or why it behaves the way it does, but I also think it's awesome for what I need it to do. Do I think the tool is perfect? Of course not. I'm not a blind follower.

I treat Word like I treat HTML and CSS. I create character styles and instead of using Ctrl+B to make a word bold, I use a character style that describes what it is - its function. For example, and this is very basic, I created a style called "button" in my template. If I had to write "Click Save to write your changes to the database." I would write it as "Click to write..." so that if I ever wanted to change all of the formatting for buttons in one swoop, I could simply change the character style definition. Life will be awesome when all of the existing docs use a single template. I really really REALLY want to work on converting all of the existing Word docs to a template. I hope I get time to do so, with all the other projects that need to be done.

No comments: