Monday, January 21, 2013

Visiting Mom

This is to document that we, as a family, went to see my mom. She has dementia and does not know me. Alex was visibly  upset as was Megan. I think Alex became upset first and that made Megan emotional. It is not easy for me to visit her. I find her to be merely a shell of who she used to be. She taught so many kids how to read - she was an educator for 40 years - and for many years, I thought I would follow in her footsteps as a teacher. That didn't happen because I hated teaching when I student taught in the fall of 1991.

In a sense, though, I do teach because I am doing my best to use Word effectively in our department and that requires educating co-workers about both paragraph styles and character styles. I do not do any teaching where I am standing in front of a classroom of people, though, so I guess 'teaching' is a loose term I use.

No comments: