Friday, September 18, 2015

Another Odd Anniversary

Yesterday was the 24th anniversary of the release of the "Use Your Illusion I &II" from Guns-n-Roses. I remember when it was released. I was a senior at Mount Mercy College. I was the Arts & Entertainment Editor for the Minstrel, the campus newspaper. I was under a lot of stress and wasn't able to devote a lot of time to fulfilling that role. With a deadline approaching, I created a very short article of about 5 lines. I know I clipped the article from the newspaper and I know it was along the lines of this:

The new releases from Guns-n-Roses are called "Use Your Illusion I & II."

You should buy them.

Is there any more to say?

No.


Told you it was short and sweet. I only recalled this line of thinking because Loudwire, once again, posted an article about the anniversary of its release here. If I would have been involved in this release cycle, I wouldn't have allowed it to go out the way it did. Instead, I would have had a single release with these tracks:

1. "You Could Be Mine" Stradlin, Rose 5:43
2. "Live and Let Die" Paul McCartney, Linda McCartney 3:04
3. "You Ain't the First" Stradlin 2:36
4. "Back Off Bitch" Rose, Paul Tobias 5:03
5. "November Rain" Rose 8:575. "Don't Damn Me" Slash, Dave Lank, Rose 5:18
6. "Civil War" Axl Rose, Slash, Duff McKagan 7:42
7. "14 Years" Izzy Stradlin, Rose 4:23
8. "Yesterdays" Rose, West Arkeen, Del James, Billy McCloud 3:14

9. "Get in the Ring" McKagan, Slash, Rose 5:42

10. "Don't Cry" Stradlin, Rose 4:45
11. "Knockin' on Heaven's Door" (Bob Dylan cover) Bob Dylan 5:36

I always thought these two releases should have been stripped of the filler....

No comments: