Thursday, June 23, 2016

17%

I consider myself a fan of heavy music so when I came across this video of 100 metal riffs, I was initially enthusiastic. Then I started looking at the 100 bands listed and I began to feel uneasy. I wanted to validate or invalidate my uneasiness so I did a quick test. I went through the list and if I could hum the tune, I tallied it. Tunes with which I was familiar with (Anthrax's "A.I.R.") did not get a tally mark because, if I were walking down the street, and someone said, "Hum Anthrax's "A.I.R." and I will give you $1000 in cash," I would walk away without $1000.

I had 17 tally marks.

Sad, I know. I am probably going to create a playlist with these 100 tunes and embed it on this blog in the future.


Here's the video:



Here's the list of 100 bands in the video order (verbatim, including typos from the video's description):
  1. megadeth - holy wars
  2. cacophony - savage
  3. rammstein - asche zu asche
  4. burzum - war
  5. iron Maiden - 2 minutes to midnight
  6. metal church - badlands
  7. opeth - moonlapse vertigo
  8. eternal silence - dreambook
  9. virgin steele - through the ring of fire
  10. death angel - voracious souls
  11. avantasia - reach out for the light
  12. gli atroci - voglio vederti morire
  13. helloween - if I could fly
  14. pantera - cemetery gates
  15. ozzy osbourne - bark at the moon
  16. riot - thundersteel
  17. judas priest - painkiller
  18. moonspell - breathe
  19. anthrax - A.I.R.
  20. testament - the hew order
  21. pagan’s mind - through osiris eyes
  22. twisted sister - burn in hell
  23. rhapsody of fire - dawn of victory
  24. masterplan - crawling from hell
  25. suicidal tendencies - trip at the brain
  26. queensryche - eyes of a stranger
  27. sanctuary - future tense
  28. sepultura - lobotomy
  29. overkill - elimination
  30. sonata arctica - don’t say a word
  31. king diamond - give me your soul
  32. dio - stand up and shout
  33. fear factory - replica
  34. arch enemy - we will rise
  35. xentrix - for whose advantage
  36. accept - balls to the wall
  37. black Sabbath - black Sabbath
  38. saxon - metalhead
  39. voivod - into my hypercube
  40. watchtower - the fall of reason
  41. manowar - kings of metal
  42. angra - nothing to say
  43. death - spirit crusher
  44. axel rudi pell - mystica
  45. edguy - The piper never dies
  46. kamelot - march of mephisto
  47. gamma ray - strange world
  48. dokken - mr scary
  49. anvil - metal on metal
  50. stratovarius - destiny
  51. katatonia - brave
  52. blind guardian - imaginations from the other side
  53. impellitteri - stand in line
  54. racer x - Scarified
  55. steel panther - death to all but metal (chorus)
  56. hidden memories - over the edge
  57. nevermore - we disintegrate
  58. yngwie malmsteen - caught in the middle
  59. grave digger - Valhalla
  60. hammerfall - renegade
  61. slayer - war ensemble
  62. evile - thrasher
  63. sodom - napalm in the morning
  64. exodus - a good day to die
  65. savatage - edge of thorns
  66. nanowar of steel - giorgio mastrota
  67. symphony x - serpents kiss
  68. kreator - Phobia
  69. meshuggah - bleed
  70. tool - the pot
  71. metallica - the thing that should not be
  72. cradle of filth - nymphetamine fix
  73. annihilator - king of the kill
  74. pain of salvation - fandango
  75. mayhem - chimera
  76. gothminister - monsters
  77. nightwish - I wish I had an angel
  78. nocturnal rites - awakening
  79. rage - soundchaser
  80. lamb of god - hourglass
  81. firewind - breaking the silence
  82. finntroll - trollhammaren
  83. dying fetus - your treachery will die with you
  84. children of bodom - downfall
  85. destrage - my green neighbour
  86. funeral - the architecture of loss
  87. celtic frost - a dying god coming into human flesh
  88. strapping young lad - love?
  89. behemoth - ov fire and the void
  90. dream theater - as I am
  91. freak kitchen - snap
  92. zimmers hole - alright
  93. temperance - save me
  94. toxic holocaust - acid fuzz
  95. system of a down - byob
  96. devin townsend - hyperdrive
  97. november’s doom - harvest scythe
  98. mastodon - the motherload
  99. my dyng bride - the cry of manking
  100. dream evil - the book of heavy metal

No comments: