Friday, June 17, 2016

The Resurgent Family Does These 10 Things

This article describes the 10 Characteristics of The Resurgent Family. Within this article is a link to a website that coincides with a book I have sitting on my dresser. The book, You Will Be Made To Care, is by my favorite Conservative and Christian author, Erick Erickson. I purchased it in the hopes that I would shift the way I like to waste my precious free time by watching "Orange is the New Black" on Netflix (4th season is released today!!!)** and land at reading this book. Unlike the weather, it's not going very hot. I will be in Elkader for the weekend and, when I left this AM, I didn't have the book in my "things" to go with me. We are leaving immediately after I get home and have the truck loaded because, you know, I'm the only one in our family that knows how to carry items to vehicles. Sorry, was that aloud?

Moving on, I did bring in my Garmin for my co-worker John, who is leaving for Orlando, FL, with his wife & 3 kids. They are going to Disney World (driving) so I figured the Garmin that typically sits in our hope chest in our bedroom might do him more good. John returns to work on Tuesday, July 5th. He is my walking buddy when I need to get out of my chair and walk a couple of 1/2 mile laps around the lake that is behind the building I work in. We've been hit and miss, going occasionally, but not daily. There are 4 floors in the building I work in [my cubicle is in the Lower Level (LL)] and for the month of June, there is a "friendly" competition to see which floor is the healthiest. There's a white board to mark when returning from walking a lap. Thus far, the LL is in the lead, but with 9 work days remaining, it's too early to call us the victors.

As far as work goes, I am very happy to be where I am. I have been using the phrase "landing up" to describe what it feels like to have been laid off at Pearson, to be unemployed, to question my faith as I sought a job, and to then be validated by being hired for the job I said I wanted on the first full day of being laid off - I kept a "Laid Off" journal and reread the first couple of entries last night. I feel like I am in the right place and can easily see myself retiring from here on my 65th birthday, which is Friday, December 01, 2034. Because from here to there is 18 years, 5 months, 2 weeks, 3 days or  6744 days, it's a little too early to start the countdown.

In other news, since I mentioned Erick Erickson, I came across these:


**Editor's Note: Wow! Touting a book about Christianity in the same sentence as endorsing "Orange is the New Black"... Really?!?

No comments: