Friday, June 24, 2016

More Justice

I happened to come across this. It made me realize I remember NOTHING about this concert from when I was 19 years, 6 months, 2 weeks, 2 days old. The only reason I remember that I was there that night is is because I saw a friend of mine, Steve Devereaux, who asked me if I could give his friend, Scott, a ride home. It had been a couple of years, hell, maybe a decade, since I had seen Steve. He was a year older than me and lived in the house across the street from me on Red Bud Road. He had gone to a different elementary school and then we ended up at the same high school. I recall seeing him in the hallways in high school, we were not buddies.

Looking back on the situation, I really had no reason to help him. There was no compelling reason to do so, but I did. Scott lived in Marion and having never met Scott before, I agreed to give him a ride home. I am 99% sure I went to the concert with Serbi, but he lived in Palo, which was on the opposite side of the world, compared to Marion. Maybe I drove him home first and then went to Marion (it would be less of a "go around your elbow to get to your ass" itinerary going that route). I really just do not remember. More about Scott in a moment.

I can say that I don't think I had a drop of booze that night, which makes me even more disgusted that I can't recall details of that concert. I mean, this is Metallica, M E T A L L I C A and this was my first time seeing them in concert! I vaguely remember the Cult opened for them and that I found out later that Matt Sorum, who went on to play with Guns-n-Roses & Velvet Revolver, was the Cult's drummer when I saw them that night.

The funny thing about Scott is that he eventually became the lead singer for Assume, the first band I was in. The crazy thing is that I never heard him sing. EVER. He worked at Menard's and would say at band practice that he needed to buy a microphone. Fast forward to 1998, when I worked at QDS, I met Gail, his dad. I mentioned to Gail that his son had been the lead singer in the first band I was ever in. The look on Gail's face was priceless - I chuckle when I see it in my mind. "He sang? I never knew that."

So, while I don't know what tunes Metallica played on that night, I have to believe I liked the concert. After all, "And Justice for All" has never wavered in being my all-time favorite Metallica album. It's so odd to me that this year - November 5, 2016 - will mark 10,000 days since I saw Metallica in concert for the first time. Since then, of course, I've seen them 3 additional times:
  • November 1991 at the Five Seasons Center (the same venue I saw them play in 1989) in Cedar Rapids
  • January 1993 at Carver-Hawkeye Arena in Iowa City
  • August 2003 at the Mark in Moline, IL

I did find out that they played these songs the next night in Bonner Springs, KS:

  1. Blackened
  2. For Whom the Bell Tolls
  3. Welcome Home (Sanitarium)
  4. Harvester of Sorrow
  5. The Four Horsemen
  6. The Thing That Should Not Be
  7. Bass Solo
  8. Master of Puppets
  9. Fade to Black
  10. Seek & Destroy
  11. ...And Justice for All

Encore:

  1. Creeping Death
  2. One
  3. Guitar Solo
  4. Battery

Encore 2:

  1. Last Caress (Misfits cover)
  2. Am I Evil? (Diamond Head cover)
  3. Whiplash

Encore 3:

  1. Breadfan (Budgie cover)


No comments: