Monday, March 27, 2017

Twilight is Short-Sighted

The way this article - Twilight of the Rock Gods - laments "the recent flood of celebrity deaths has been overwhelming:
  1. David Bowie
  2. Glenn Frey
  3. Prince
  4. Leonard Cohen
  5. George Michael
  6. Chuck Berry
is so short-sighted and so disrespectful of the musicians who are creating music today. Did not those 6 musicians all go to bed and all get up each day... until they didn't? Not ONE of those celebrities led a life that is more valuable than anyone else on this planet. That is what I think about when I read articles like the referenced one above and this one - Bowie's death marks the Twilight of the Rock Gods - and really ponder life and death.

Those celebrities are NO DIFFERENT from:
  1. the 100 year-old who passed away and whose obituary was in the Cedar Rapids Gazette yesterday
  2. the 103 year-old who my father-in-law told me about yesterday
  3. my mom
  4. my neighbor's mom
  5. Lee Knutson, my high school friend
  6. Andy George, my high school friend
  7. Ron Rath, my friend's father
  8. Penny C, my former co-worker who committed suicide
  9. Susan D, my former co-worker who was riding her bike and got hit by a truck and died
  10. Katelyn, my former co-worker's daughter who, one morning, didn't wake up
  11. Alan, my wife's uncle, who succumbed to Alzheimer's
  12. all the 100s more that I'm not mentioning specifically
Death is the great equalizer. Yes, it positively sucks. 

No comments: